Robyn Lawley: Designers Need To Change


ROBYN LAWLEY - the first model above sample size to appear in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue  - has called upon designers to create their samples in larger sizes, believing that this shift would effect change in the representation of body diversity.
Robyn Lawley earlier this week, nine months pregnant with her first child
Picture credit: Instagram/robynlawley1

"Designers need to not be so fearful of using a few models that are a different size on the catwalk," she told The Cut. "They expect you just to fit into these sample sizes. They say, 'Yeah, you don't look like a size 12.' I've got a 42-inch hip, my friend; this is not going to fit. I can't get clothes for events. I'm very excluded from a lot of that, and it sucks. If designers had more sample sizes, they would make the magazines shoot size 8 on a size 8... I  don't really understand why. I used to think sample sizes were made into a 0. But as a designer myself, I make the sample sizes whatever I want. Why are we so focused on having the girl fit the clothes rather than the clothes fit the girls?"

Lawley, currently expecting her first child, also has her own swimwear line, which she wears in the shoot. The Australian model - who does not identify herself as plus-size, but prefers the term "curvy" - is a long-time advocate of women embracing their bodies, whatever their size, and credits Kate Upton with helping break down industry barriers to size.

"MJ Day, assistant managing editor of Sports Illustrated, said it was like the Kate Upton effect," Lawley reveals. "Everything happened in a flow and is finally happening, but my agents at Wilhelmina have been working at this for years, trying to even get us in the door to see people. At the end of the day, I'm a size that they're not used to. It's quite a process and I am quite stoked they were really willing to go down that route... People don't know how hard it is to break a mould. It's a step in the right direction - I'm proud of Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein,  Sports Illustrated -  and it needs to happen faster. We're hoping it does."
Share on Google Plus

0 comments:

thank you for commenting :)